[R129 SL] New to this board with a couple questions...

Peter Shelton xtr204210 at xtra.co.nz
Thu Mar 1 15:07:47 EST 2007

Hi David,

I am in New Zealand and we are at the bottom half of the world!!! Some of
the locals like to call it "God's Own". We have about 4.2 million
population and about 4 cars for every 5 people, so we have a lot of Mercedes
Benz cars around the place. Many cars are imports from Japan and Singapore
as they are 'cheap'!. For instance a good 1992/1996 Mercedes Benz 129 with
about 50,000 km (31,250 miles ) on the clock is about NZ$35,000 or US$24,500
inclusive of all taxes etc. We are not allowed to use salt on our roads,
and Singapore /Japan is quite warm so rusting is usually negligible and
about half the cars are often in near concourse condition.

There are extended warranties available here, but the warranty depends upon
the company offering the warranty, and the terms of the warranty. Note the
company offering the warranty is often not the company that is actually
insures the vehicle. IF Daimler Chrysler is offering and insuring the
extended warranty, then there may be few issues to contend , especially if
it is "bumper to bumper". However, if it is being on sold to another
insurer, then I agree with Bruce from Nashville, that the terms and
conditions of the policy should be read carefully, and it may be
advantageous to call and see what their track record for paying out is like.
There is nothing worse than spending hours taking on an insurance company,
as even if you 'win' it takes a lot of time!

Most insurers are global and policies are further on sold to European and
Swiss insurers, so it is really a matter of knowing the exact terms and
conditions of the policy. I have found that one "bumper to bumper" warranty
is more like a "gumboot to jandal" policy and there are so many exclusions.
For comparison, a "partial" 3 year warranty for a 129 (probably all that is
really going to be paid out upon) costs us in NZ about US$850 a year with a
US$350 deductible for the engine, gearbox, main computer, diff, etc.
Windscreen wipers and other electrics are often excluded from policies.

I have just sold my R107, and still have a W201, R129, and two 123's (250
and a 280E).

I hope this provided some light evening reading and does not put you to
sleep too quickly.

Kind Regards
Peter Shelton,
Electrical Engineer &
National Treasurer, Mercedes Benz Club of New Zealand.