[R129 SL] help with tire selection, alignment

R. A. Foster macfoster at netzero.net
Wed Jun 20 13:50:35 EDT 2007

Listers - My car is a 1991 500SL. After 30,000 miles and 4 years on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S radials, my mechanic tells me he sees evidence of dry rot in the tires and that they need to be replaced. I'm very happy with the performance of these tires, disappointed only in wear and tear after 30K miles. As some of you might know, these particular tires carry no warranty. My driving is mostly local with occasional 100 mile trips on local freeways.

Does anyone have experience with Kumho tires or other Michelins (e.g., Pilot Exalto A/S)?

Secondly, what suggestions do you have for alignment checks - every year, every two years or some other interval?

TIA,

Bob