[R129 SL] Electrical problems

Oldbenz1 at aol.com Oldbenz1 at aol.com
Tue Jun 5 11:23:02 EDT 2007

On a recent long hiway trip, the '92 500SL was exposed to one of its rare
rain experiences during which I discovered some annoying problems. Wiper switch
was intermittent, with the low-speed and interval wiper settings working only
occasionally (mostly not at all). Fortunately, the high speed wiper position
was OK so I was able to drive safely. Also, when signalling lane changes,
the cruise control would act up, sometimes shutting off, other times speeding up
as when the cruise lever is moved to the "Accelerate/Set" position. When
this happened, the warning lights on the instrument panel would go crazy so I
felt like I was playing a pinball machine- different colored lights flashing
everywhere, fuel gauge instantly dropping to zero, red oil pressure light and seat
belt light flickering, etc.! This anomaly was seen whether the wipers were
on or not. I suspect the combi switch is the culprit, although maybe there
is a wiring harness in the steering column that is at fault. My question is
can the combi switch be taken apart so electrical contacts can be cleaned?
Failing that, is replacement of the combi switch likely to solve these
problems? My concern is the cruise control problem that shows up when signalling
lane changes- it would seem that the combi switch functions and the cruise
control would be two separate systems.
Rich