[R129 SL] R129LIST Digest, Vol 31, Issue 18

Jan Kuylaars J.kuylaars at kpnplanet.nl
Tue Jul 24 20:02:36 EDT 2007

Paul.
At both sides, left and right of the cluster , exactly in the middle,
there are five ribs with a 90degrees rib at the end.
It is the meaning of the tool to put it between the cluster with the
90degrees hook face down.
When you are after the cluster, you turn the hook 90degrees so that te
hook pointed to the cluster.
Then softley let the hook come between one of the five ribs, where it
wil stock at the end, and give the opportunity to pull out the cluster.
The only thing that can happen, is that you pull to hard or not with the
same force at both sides.
In that case the tool can slip out of the ribs, and damage your glas
from the cluster.
I bougt a 420 S in the past with the glas broken in this way.
I had a lot off trouble with this cluster and did several repairs before
it was OK.
During those repairs I let the cluster laying in the dash, but did not
push it to the end.
So it was easey to take it of for several times.
After the repair I putt on a new glas and pushed the cluster to the end
of the dashboard.
If you want te reduce the change of breaking, do what peter says, and
srew off the under dash plate, so you can help the cluster come
out by pushing it by hand.

I take a aluminium tube from 10 mm from a antenna and saw it off for 2
inches. The end i made flat so that there fits exactly a mercedes
dashboard bulb.
For replacing the warning light bulbs at the lower side of the cluster,
or the turning indicator lights, it is not necessary to take out the
cluster.
You can put the tube on the bulb and make a 90degrees turn and take it
out. Replace in opposite .

I made an appointment with my garage to replace the oil and filter from
my gearbox next week thuesday.
Because i don't have a bridge or a oil change hole in my garage, i find
it to risky to do it myself.
I bougt a other house with a hole in my garage, but i will move at the
end of the year.
The kids are gone out of the home and we going to move to a patio
bungalow, all downfloors.

Jan.