[R129 SL] Oil leak follow-up

Peter Shelton xtr204210 at xtra.co.nz
Sun Jan 7 17:14:17 EST 2007

Hi Howard,

The nuts will be 'loose' as the gasket will have shrunk - a time problem. A new gasket is suggested, but I would not recommend the loctite. Loctite is not normally used on the sump nuts so inserting it into the holes may not help.

I have had a similar issue on my "orange roughie" - a 1979 W123 - 2.5 litre engine. In this case, I just tightened up the nuts and it has been fine for 4 years and 85,000 km so far - still not leaking.

Could I also suggest that you just check all the nuts in the engine bay. I check all the cars every year or so, as I bought an old Honda CRX a few years back (for the kids to drive), and the engine made a slight clunking noise on acceleration and deceleration. On checking, the engine only had one nut left for support instead of the normal three, and two nuts were missing from the gearbox/ engine nut cluster . I found other nuts loose, or missing and this one incident prompted me to check generally all the easy to access nuts etc on every car on a regular basis.

Funny as I have always checked the motorcycles nuts etc (except the one that rides the bike!)

Have a great day.
Kind Regards
Peter S