[R129 SL] checking oil level > 1993

Jan Kuylaars J.kuylaars at kpnplanet.nl
Thu Aug 23 18:23:51 EDT 2007

Chris.
If you means English pounds £ there is no much difference.
If you mean dollars $ then it is cheaper.
A pound is about 1.48 euro and a dollar is 0.75 euro
So the filter 44.19£ = 65.40E = incl taxes 76.84£ or 77.82E = 1 euro
cheaper.
gasket 9.23= 13.66 = incl 16.05£ or 16.25E = 20 cts cheaper.

But without joking, you must use the original Mercedes Benz oil for
transmission.
My mechanic say that the filter was renewed. But the oil was as black as
the night.
I now that the original Benz dealer give me the wrong oil for my
steering pump.
The oil was red, and the new oil was green. At the moment that there was
a mixture
of both oils, the fluid changed from red to black. I direct stopped with
filling and
told the shop he give the wrong oil. I get other oil, red, and he told
me to drive into the
Garage to suck out the oil. But to drive inside was enough to mix the
oil in the system.
That was a year ago and 2 months ago I had to replaced the steering
house because it was heavy leaking.
So the oil in the gearbox till 1993 is also red. Maybe the garage has
filled my gearbox with oil he
normally uses (seat brand) and that can be the reason why it came of so
black.

But the gearbox expert told me that if you are using the car normal, he
filled up in cold position till the max.
The difference between minus and maximum should be only 300 mL.
It was better to have some more oil then to less, with less the pump
could takes a little air.
Air let the oil foam and higher the temperature.
I drove 4 years with the level cold at maximum without trouble.
He says that this will never damage the box.

Only when you left the car for a long time, say months without driving,
the oil from the powerconvertor flows in the gearbox. And that is more
than 2 liters.
Then there is a possibility that the oil come out the dipstick pipe, or
rises more then 2 liter inside the gearbox.
Then there could be something damaged.

So it is best if you conserve the car for a period , to fill under the
minus at cold as the manual tells us to do.

He is a American car lover, and told me that if a American car is left
alone for a while, the oil is coming out of the gearbox. Start the
engine and fill up the oil and it is OK . There is no damage at the box.
It is the amount of oil from the powerconvertor that causes the oil leak
at the overfill drain.

He asks me what level I want, but I am trusting his experience.
He also told me that he could make an alignment that the box is shifting
to the second gear by 50 km/hour instead of 60.
Now I must leave the pedal at 50 to let it shift up, and drive further
in the city with low engine rpm.

On the other hand there is a possibility that the car will shift up and
down if I am driving between 50 and 60, so I don't know what is wise.

Next week the car is ready, so than I know the costs and the results.

Have a nice day, greetings to all.

Jan.