[R129 SL] automatic gearbox update

Jan Kuylaars J.kuylaars at kpnplanet.nl
Sat Aug 18 20:07:29 EDT 2007

Dear Friends.

I have been visiting my gearbox expert.
Like he told me before, the top bearing from the oil pump and
powerconvertor was totally damaged.
The axe was a little damaged, but he could repair it with sandpaper.
But the bearing was so fastened , that it had been turned around in the
housing.
So he must order a new cover to put in the new bearing.
In the cover is the hole to pump out the oil.
Because the bearing was turn around it blocked the oil outlet.
In that way the pressure come to high and the oil seal in the cover was
blown out, with the big leakage as result.
So also the oil seal must be replace. The oil seals to the gearbox also
were old and he decide to replace them to.
One friction ring had a little age problem and will also be replaced.
He was wandering why the bearing was so damaged, but he could not find
looseness on the engine axe.
So I believe it is the age and the mileages.

But the expert could not believe that the garage has changed the oil,
and was perplex for the bill off 350 euros.
The oil that came out was dirty black. As I drove only 4 miles it should
be red transparent.
Even the filter change was not sure, because the gearbox was so dirty,
that he could not believe that any mechanic
should do such a important job like changing the seal and filter without
cleaning the covers.
So when there should lay a residue on the filter, he know for sure that
I have been misguide.
But he has not yet told it to me, because i did not speak him anymore.

He told me that everyone was smart to let the oil and filter change
every 40 000 km, say 25000 miles,
even Mercedes say to do it every 60 000 km.
and if you buy a other car, and it has no maintenance history, be for
sure and let all the oil change.
To do so, will let increase the lifetime from the gearbox to 500 000 km
without changing parts, and after that it has no value to do so.
Then you must change it for new.

The oil is good enough to grease for longer distance, but the little
parts from using must come out the system by changing the oil.

I don't know how much I must pay, but I have a good feeling by that guy
that he is straight.

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Jan Kuylaars
Technical Manager Rian bv.