[R129 SL] battery

Peter Shelton xtr204210 at xtra.co.nz
Fri Apr 20 17:57:19 EDT 2007

Hi William,

I believe that Phil and Marcus have stated you on the path and it may well
be the alternator, or the regulator section of the alternator. The
battery is a big 'condenser' (capacitor) and should give some immunity to
spikes but it will not absorb all spikes in any DC system, especially when
they are high frequency AC or AC simulated (or distorted). I would not
expect to see a 20 mA or even a 150 mA spike on the car current charging
gauge, and you will require an oscilloscope or a power analyser to measure
to these levels. If you are using a standard meter, my guess is that it is
not a DC spike and the meter is picking up an RF (radio frequency) style
frequency from somewhere in the car, or it may be induced from an external
source.

To be brief, obtain a DC clip on current meter. Place it on the alternator
big cable, see what current is coming from the alternator!. If it is less
than 30 amps or so, when the battery is 'down', then the alternator is the
first port of call.

I use a Fluke Power Analyser and place the setting on "zero degrees" phase
shift, and voila, you have a DC measuring device to 800 amps! Find an
electrical engineer, or a big electrical company and they may have one of
these. If you are in New Zealand, feel free to borrow mine!

Good luck and I will be interested to know how you get on!

Kind Regards, from the Deep South, Peter S.