[R129 SL] Sudden Engine miss on my 1996 SL500 - M119 engine

George Jenner gjenner at nc.rr.com
Thu Apr 19 18:42:13 EDT 2007

Jonathan, I thought I would give you and the group an update on the outcome of my engine miss. I took the SL in to a shop which I regularly do business with and the owner plugged a hand held tester in to the connector beneath the dash on the drivers side. Unfortunately he was not successful in locating the problem. So I took the Benz to Autowerks which is a Benz, BMW, Audi type shop a little further away. They said it probably was a coil but since they would have to order one in I decided to try a new set of plugs while I waited overnight for the coil to arrive. Got the plugs home and went to work. Found one plug loose enough to blow oil past the plug seal. Otherwise the plug looked great but were worn to a wide gap (about .55) so replacements were in order. Did not fix the problem however so next day I got the coil and the plug connector also. They then used their hand held tester and found that my problem was plug number one. That saved me a bunch of time trying to locate the faulty coil. Went home, replaced the coil and connector and my problem went away. The entire cost was $99.90 for the coil, $14.00 for the connector, $36.40 for eight plugs.

I learned a lot thanks to you and the group.

It sure is great to have the support of everyone in the 129group. Thank You, George Jenner