[R129 SL] Dual Exhaust?

Oldbenz1 at aol.com Oldbenz1 at aol.com
Sun Apr 1 15:04:02 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/1/2007 3:01:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
george.simpson.r129 at tiscali.fr writes:

On my 1990 500SL, I removed the rear silencer box and had a stainless steel
'drainpipe' fabricated which clips over the existing +/- 3 inch pipe and at
the other end has the two down turned pipes exactly the same as the M-B
standard rear box with a bracket for the standard two rubber rings suspending it
from the car. It makes a lovely burble at low speeds, weighs a quarter of the
old box (which I have retained), but whether there is any difference in
performance is hard to tell - there are not many roads in Europe (short of the
German autobahn) where one can unleash 325 bhp!!!!

George Simpson
Cognac

Hi George- my '92 500SL also has the rear silencer removed and a "cheater
pipe" installed. I agree, it makes a nice growl