[R129 SL] Re: R129 service DVD and Hydraulic problems

Lowanover at aol.com Lowanover at aol.com
Mon Sep 18 10:27:18 EDT 2006

Hi Jan,
I also have the factory R129 dvd which in an earlier post I offered copies
to anyone who has experienced ADS (adaptive Damping System) problems. I would
extend that offer to those that have had experience with the hydraulic self
leveling suspension, as that may be the culprit. It is a complicated system,
that is difficult to troubleshoot. The dvd does have quite a lot on it, but I
have not been able to fix it yet. The dealers solution is to keep replacing
parts until it works.

This system is standard on the SL600, but my understanding is that was also
available on the Sl500. I have replaced the accumulators and there are no
leaks,  everything seems to work, but there is a loud hydraulic "squealing" noise
when I  start it up that sounds like the system is pressurizing. After a short
while it  changes in intensity and pitch and goes away. sometimes I hear it
doing this  while driving. Is this normal? Any experiences would be very much
appreciated.

As someone who has bought a number of workshop cd's off eBay, I would also
add a word of caution....most are useless. I also have the original factory
W124  cd's (2) which are also very good. But the rest were a waste of  money.

Dave