[R129 SL] AMG Package

Phil Carbone philcarbone55 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 11 17:05:01 EDT 2006

Thanks.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Rob Vonderhaar
  Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 3:45 PM
  Subject: RE: [R129 SL] AMG Package

  Phil,
  We may be getting confused here.  There are true AMG SLs like the SL55 or SL65, and there is also the so-called 'SL Sport' option for a regular SL.  The former is the real deal -- much more powerful engines, upgraded suspension, etc (and prices to match).  The latter is what George described in his post, and consists of upgraded wheels/tires plus some exterior trim cosmetics; it's always been about a $5k option if I recall.

  If we're talking about the SL Sport package, there are pros and cons.  I also added the AMG wheel/tire setup to my '95 SL500 (18" monoblocks with staggered 245/275 widths, identical to what comes on the SL Sport).  This is a +2 upgrade over the original 16" wheels.  Since I first put them on in 1996, I've run Dunlop SP9000's which were again exactly what MB used at the time.  Have always been happy with the performance of the 9000's, but recently went to Toyo Proxes T1R's as a slightly less-expensive replacement.  Personally, I can't tell the difference -- first Toyos I've owned, but so far very happy.

  The pros:  Car handles like it's on rails.  Much less body lean, no tire squeal, etc. in hard cornering.  Also, much better wet-weather handling (the OEM Pirellis hydroplaned like crazy).  The cons:  Very harsh ride.  You feel every single pebble on the road, and at least on my car, the whole suspension doesn't seem all that compliant.  Even on a smooth interstate, the ride is pretty 'busy'.  It also tends to tramline a bit, especially on worn or crowned roads - so keeping the car from wandering takes more work sometimes.  (And yes, I just had it aligned - it's smack on specs in every regard.)  Finally, the staggered setup means you can't rotate tires.  This is a really big deal, because the SL is very hard on the outer edges (especially in front), and the fronts always wear a lot faster than the rears.  With a new set of these tires running $1200-1500, and usually only lasting about 10-15k miles, being able to rotate would sure be nice!

  So there are days that I love the change, and others where I wonder whether it's worth the tradeoffs.  Choose wisely, grasshopper!

     Rob Vonderhaar
     Leesburg, VA
     1995 SL500