[R129 SL] RE: winter storage for rear plastic window

Victor R. Lopez vrlopez254 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 15 23:03:09 EDT 2006

I've done a couple of things in the past and they both seem to work. The first is I clean the canvas and the plastic with a cleaner restorer. Make sure you let the top dry for a few days, just to make sure its completly dry. I then take a couple of big beach towel and role it so it's seven-eight inch round. I'll lay it across the plastic window so it covers the window left to right. I'll lift the top to to point the back section starts to flip up. I then tuck the towel into the crease (sp) of the window about the middle has it starts to fold completely into the compartment I carefully guide the towel into place as the top starts to close. The towel keeps the plastic somewhat stretched around the towel. It also helps to have someone help with the top coming down. The other is I keep the hard top off under a top cover on a rolling rack in the garage. I keep the canvas top up and I'll lay a couple thick moving blankets over the body and cover the whole vehicle with a fitted
 breathable top. Either way I wont move the top up or down until mid march early april. Works for me. I'm sure there guys out there that have a better way.

  1999 sl500 sport 35k
  1991 348 ts Ferrari 30k
  1991 Jeep Wrangle 185K Takes a lick'n and keeps on tick'n

  Victor

  Clay Woodward <clay500 at msn.com> wrote:
  I recently purchased a 99 sl500 , live in Ohio and am wondering with the
cold winter weather here what would be best for the plastic rear window of
my soft top while it will be stored this winter in my detached unheated
garage. Im thinking maybe it would be better to keep hard top off and have
soft top up so the plastic would not be folded up all winter if it were
down. Thanks for any replies.

Clay W.