[R129 SL] SL500 Outside Temp Display Lamp

George - R129 george.simpson.r129 at tiscali.fr
Fri Jun 16 03:14:21 EDT 2006

I had the same problem with my 1990 500SL - if nothing has changed in
the intervening years, then the bulb is soldered to two contacts on the
little circuit board so there's no quick fix. I have one in my hand -
part no. DB AT 600 202 002 002 12161.

To get at it, you will need the two hooked steel probes which are
inserted at about "ten to two" down the sides of the instrument panel,
turned and then carefully pull/wriggle the panel  out. Once out, the
outside temperature module pulls out of its 7 pin socket. You might get
lucky, as I did, to find an electronics engineer who will unsolder and
replace the bulb - this was after I bought a used module from New
Zealand ( www.4mercs.co.nz ) so I now have a spare !!!!

Good luck

George
Cognac