[R129 SL] Oh, Joy! (was: soft top not raising)

Anil M Seunath amseunath at atlanticlng.com
Thu Jun 8 13:07:16 EDT 2006

Thats great news Paul.. and wow.. tomorrow is Friday !!!

I got all my information and knowledge on the top from Jan Kuylaars and Bob
Terry.. so thanks to them ultimately.

All the best.

             Paul Samarin
             <pauls at sbcglobal.
             net>                                                       To
             Sent by:                  SL Mailing List
             r129list-bounces@         <r129list at mbcoupes.com>
             mbcoupes.com                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             06/08/2006 01:01          [R129 SL] Oh, Joy! (was: soft top
             PM                        not raising)

             Please respond to
              SL Mailing List
             <r129list at mbcoupe
                  s.com>

On Jun 7, 2006, at 9:23 AM, Paul Samarin wrote:

> Not sure I'm making progress, but I'm taking baby steps at least.  I
> think I may have more than one problem with the thing.

Having replaced not one thing, the top now operates exactly as it
should!  Many, many thanks to Anil Seunath and "mooncusser" for your
help and encouragement.  Can you imagine how much it would have cost to
have the Dealership throwing expensive parts at the thing for days?

Ultimately, I think the problem was simply that it hadn't been operated
for years, and was just a bit creaky or cramped--not unlike its new 50
y.o. owner--and needed some coaxing.  With help from my brother's
mechanic and this list, I opened it manually a couple of times but was
unable to get it to lock at the rear.  Nevertheless, with each attempt,
it seemed to be willing and able to go another step further,
electronically.

So, I persevered.  Anil sent pix and mooncusser suggested some switches
to look at and so I tried again this am.  First time through it
operated properly all the way through to locking itself at the
windshield then stopped.  I reversed the switch to operate it all the
way through to close and that went properly.  So, I just took the leap
of faith and tried again to raise it, and lo and behold, the thing
completed the cycle perfectly.

Now I get to go topless!

Thanks,

Paul