[R129 SL] soft top not raising

Paul Samarin pauls at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 7 12:23:44 EDT 2006

Not sure I'm making progress, but I'm taking baby steps at least.  I
think I may have more than one problem with the thing.

I have located the switch I think you're referring to.  It is white
plastic with a blue plastic piece.  The soft top pushes it down when
the top closes.  However, mine is not traveling the full distance down.
  When I push it further with my finger, I can hear a tiny click,
leading me to believe that there is a contact point not being
triggered.  No amount of pressure on the soft top with make it move
that switch any further; it feels as if the soft top has gone as far as
it can go and the switch has another half inch to go.  It may be that
when the hard cover locks down the switch goes the further distance, I
don't know.

Also, however, the locks which hold down *either* top in the rear are
not grabbing and holding the hooks on either side.  So, I cannot
manually lock the soft top down.  I now remember that locking down the
hard top was also problematic the two or three times I've done it.
What could make the locks not catch?  The locking tool works fine and
the front locks down fine, but the locks are just not grabbing hold in
the back.

Thanks for walking me through this...

Paul
'90 500 SL

On Jun 6, 2006, at 11:32 AM, mooncusser wrote:

> Don't need the switch. Just have to give a tug on the top to line it
> up with the switch as it goes down.
> On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 14:14:52 -0400, you wrote:
>

>> part number for this switch : 1298206110
>>

>> used on ebay ... don't buy used !! :-)
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/Mercedes-R129-SL-Schalter-Steller
>> -1298206110_W0QQitemZ8037152809QQcategoryZ65060QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewIte
>>

>>             mooncusser
>>             <moon.cusser at veri
>>             zon.net>
>>             Sent by:                  SL Mailing List
>>             r129list-bounces@         <r129list at mbcoupes.com>
>>             mbcoupes.com
>>  cc
>>

>> Subject
>>             06/06/2006 02:06          Re: [R129 SL] soft top not
>> raising
>>             PM
>>

>>             Please respond to
>>              SL Mailing List
>>             <r129list at mbcoupe
>>                  s.com>
>>

>> On my 92 300sl  there is a switch that the top frame comes in contact
>> with behind the drivers seat and if it does not connect going down it
>> will not go up. Look just inside the left or right side and see if the
>> top is resting on the switch (mine is blue) like it should to operate.
>> Just a suggestion from someone who has been there at one time.
>> Later...
>>
>> On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 09:22:40 -0700, you wrote:
>>
>>> '90 500 SL:
>>>
>>> So far, good news and bad news (maybe.)  Good news is it's not the
>>> switch.  That's good b/c at least I don't have to tear the console
>>> apart to install the switch only to discover it's not the fix.  The
>>> bad
>>> news is that the switch was pretty darn cheap, and the actual fix may
>>> not be!
>>>
>>> So far, with the parking brake engaged and the key in Position Two
>>> (whether engine idling or off), the windows automatically roll down
>>> all
>>> the way and the soft top cover pops open to what looks like 90
>>> degrees,
>>> which looks like full open.  The top doesn't move, though.
>>>
>>> It doesn't seem to be obstructed b/c two people can easily pull it
>>> out
>>> fully.  (I am not able to pull it out fully by myself as it's too