[R129 SL] soft top not raising

Paul Samarin pauls at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 6 12:22:40 EDT 2006

'90 500 SL:

So far, good news and bad news (maybe.)  Good news is it's not the
switch.  That's good b/c at least I don't have to tear the console
apart to install the switch only to discover it's not the fix.  The bad
news is that the switch was pretty darn cheap, and the actual fix may
not be!

So far, with the parking brake engaged and the key in Position Two
(whether engine idling or off), the windows automatically roll down all
the way and the soft top cover pops open to what looks like 90 degrees,
which looks like full open.  The top doesn't move, though.

It doesn't seem to be obstructed b/c two people can easily pull it out
fully.  (I am not able to pull it out fully by myself as it's too heavy
and the leverage is insufficient from just one side.)

I haven't replaced any fuses or switches, but it now doesn't seem
electrical in nature.  Should I try that anyway?  There are fuses in
the trunk; they all look good, but are they the most likely suspects?

Are there any "lift assistors" (e.g., springs, shocks) that are DIY
replaceable/adjustable?  I am aware from the p.o. that the top has not
been raised for years.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Paul