[R129 SL] Top

Anil M Seunath amseunath at atlanticlng.com
Mon Jul 24 14:18:44 EDT 2006

Franklin -
the seals on the hydraulic piston need changing.. the fluid is leaking
through it.
I went though the tedious task of removing all the pistons and replacing
the o ring seals on them . Offcourse you have a find a place that will do
that job for you.
More costly would be replacing the pistons rather than having them
serviced.

If you are mechanically inclined like me, you can take out the piston
yourself with the right standard toolset tools.. Take it to a hydraulic
service center which deals with servicing backhoes and tractors, pumps,
lifts etc. They should have the o rings needed.

More than likely the fluid is leaking at the top of the piston.. you can
look down in the top mechanism and you'll see it.

To close you top for now, add fluid to the bottle which sits under the
spare tire. You should use approved MB hydraulic fluid available at the
dealer. Offcouse some will leak out through the piston again.

I can give you more advise later on.. I know all about this.. i spent about
2 months working on my dad's car ... servicing all the pistons.

Anil. 1995 SL280, Trinidad W.I.

             "Franklin Thayer"
             <paytrakofms at jam.
             rr.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  "R129 SL" <r129list at mbcoupes.com>
             r129list-bounces@                                          cc
             mbcoupes.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [R129 SL] Top
             07/24/2006 02:04
             PM

             Please respond to
              SL Mailing List
             <r129list at mbcoupe
                  s.com>

Can anyone help me with my problem? I tried to raise my top yesterday and
the cover opened up but the top would not come up. Looked down at the
hinges and hoses on the Drivers side and saw signs of hydraulic fluid. It
did leak out and there was a puddle in front of the back tire. I just
assume I broke a line or some cylinder seal broke. With the top down I
could not see any cylinder or where the leak came from. Does anyone have a
clue or know what might have happened and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Franklin
Madison, MississippiThe MB Coupes Website!