[R129 SL] Belt Tensioner 1992 500SL

Franklin Thayer paytrakofms at jam.rr.com
Sat Feb 25 16:28:10 EST 2006

Have a 1992 500 SL. Replaced the battery about a year ago (Interstate).
Haven't cranked it much through this winter and the battery went dead. I had
a mechanic tell me months ago I needed to replace my Belt Tensioner because
it was fully extended and that the belt was squeaking when you would first
accelerate. My question is even with a bad Belt Tensioner would this cause
the Alternator not to charge the battery? And what all do I need to replace
the Belt Tensioner? I was looking on line at Performance Products and they
had the Belt Tensioner, a bracket, the Adjust Rod and some gaskets or
spacers. I will have the Alternator checked hoping that's still good!

Thanks,

Mississippi