[R129 SL] Low Refrigerant Problem

George Jenner gjenner at nc.rr.com
Wed Aug 30 10:05:28 EDT 2006

My 1996 SL500 runs low on refrigerant about once every year.  Last year I took it into a local auto air conditioning shop and it cost me over $150 and they could not find a leak because it was so small.  Thirty years ago I would add a can of R12 whenever I had a problem like this and be good to go.  I looked at the refrigerant inlet fitting on the Benz and it looks larger than I am used to seeing.  I would like to put a can of refrigerant in myself and am wondering if anyone reading this has done it on the 129 cars.  What do I need for connection between the HFC R134a can and the inlet fitting?

Happy Motoring - George