[R129 SL] Wheel Balancing

William Ricketts bandbricketts at ns.sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 18 20:02:26 EDT 2006

I've recently bought a 98 SL500 (45k mi, great shape) and had difficulty keeping the tires that came with it in balance.  I've replaced the tires and am now having the same problem with the new ones.  After the second balance on these, vibrations were very noticable at around 65 mph, after only 500 miles.  Today, I had the tires re-balanced (the rears were only off 1/2 oz) and the vibrations are gone again, at least for now.

Are these cars oversensitive to this, or what?  Has anyone experienced a similar problem?  If so, what did you do about it?

Any help would be very appreciated, I'm guessing this latest balancing won't last either...Bill