[R129 SL] Leak Problem

Graeme Watkins gwatkins at iprimus.com.au
Sat Nov 5 09:14:05 EST 2005

Hi Greg
I'll think your leaking problem is hydraulic fluid coming from the hydraulic rams that open the soft-top.  If you take the trim off in the boot (trunk) in front off the battery.  Above the wheel arch you'll see small silver rams that operate the hood and rear deck cover.  Check the wiring below the rams they will probably have the same fluid on them. Clear oily stuff.  Run your finger around the top of the ram where the shaft comes out at the top, about the same diameter as a pencil that's where it will be coming from.  Good idea to check all of them.  I think they can be rebuilt.  I have bought a new one to replace one of mine so I can try and have them rebuilt.  I have to pay $350 a piece and that's on the cheap it might not be as dear for you guy's.

Regards
Graeme Watkins 91 500SL Blackbird
New Gisborne Australia