[R129 SL] SL500 telephone

Adam Gage ADAPL12 at ADELPHIA.NET
Wed Mar 23 21:50:09 EST 2005

Speaking of the phone - is there any way to integrate the built in speaker feature into a standard cellphone?

Has anyone had problems with their gas gauge?  I overfilled mine some months back - and it's not been the same since.  It generally shows a quarter tank less than I have...

Thanks
Adam
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: George Jenner
  Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 7:41 PM
  Subject: Re: [R129 SL] SL500 telephone

  Glenn I removed the factory installed cell phone unit about 6 months ago.  The control unit is held in place by means of a steel mounting unit which is fastened to the rear of the cubby by mounting screws.  The trick is to remove the control unit which is a slide in and lock in place affair. The locking clips are plastic tabs which can be unlocked by inserting something thin but ridged like a small flat blade screw driver or narrow steel  ruler into the top of the control unit such that the screw driver will wedge the plastic tabs down from the top of the mounting unit. You will see two notches in the top front of the control unit where the clips are located.  If you can shine a light in while you are inserting the screw driver you can make out the line where the control unit and the mounting unit come together. carefully pry the top of the device down enough to release these clips.  I just horsed the steel ruler around until the clips let go and after that the entire unit slides out where you can unplug it and stuff the wire back into the holes and forget about them.  The next part of the job involves removing the steel mounting unit and finding the right material to cover the back of the cubby.  I found some extra material which was used under the telephone mount in the center console and that was enough to tightly line the back of the cubby.  If you want to finish the job you will also remove the power unit from the left side of the trunk where the CD changer is located.  I had to remove the changer to get at this unit but I was determined and got the job done and the CD changer went right back in without trouble.

  In my humble opinion the MB engineers should have had enough vision to see that this cell phone would soon be replaced by newer and better technology and just not have bothered with the effort and expense of fitting these fine automobiles with such a device.

  Happy motoring, George Jenner