[R129 SL] Harmonic damper

Adam Gage ADAPL12 at ADELPHIA.NET
Wed Jun 15 23:53:20 EDT 2005

Thank you all for the input.  George, you're right about the mechanic, but this guy is a MBZ mech.  Benz fixed now - terrible metallic grinding sound gone, car running smooth.  My mechanic was only 1/2 mile from my house ( I should have had it towed!) but I was lucky, no serious damage.  Anyone hearing this noise, as a note of caution, stop the car immediately and have it towed.  I'd hate for anyone else to have real problems.

New brakes, new rotors, new pads, fan clutch, harmonic damper, oil change (yes, synthetic), door stop replacement (making embarrasing creaking noise when I open the door), fluids checked, bill $1650.  Made me crabby, but it's the first real maintenance bill I've had, and then I drove it with the top down.  All ills cured.

Regards

Adam
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: George Jenner
  Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 10:18 AM
  Subject: Re: [R129 SL] Harmonic damper

  Adam, I suggest you first take the SL into another mechanic who is certified in MB engines for a second opinion.  The first mechanic may be exactly right but you need to verify that before you decide to let someone operate.  Harmonic dampers do not generally become faulty unless the bolt holding it in place has worked loose. (unlikely).

  Let us know what you find.

  George Jenner

  Motor on........