[R129 SL] SL roof hoists

Rob Vonderhaar rvonder at ix.netcom.com
Sun Feb 20 13:44:31 EST 2005

Mike,
I have a Fritzi Hooker manual hoist I got from Performance Products out in California about ten years ago - Capitol West currently sells them for $159, which seems like a lot more than I paid back then?  It's very well made and definitely won't damage the roof.  Mine is simply bolted to the existing steel crossbar that's lag-bolted into a ceiling joist to serve as a mount for the garage-door opener -- so the only extra work was bolting the winch onto the side wall and one screw-in pulley.  I've done this same trick in three homes now with zero problems.  I can have the top on or off in 5-10 minutes.

However, my understanding is that the older hardtops for the R107 could be safely stored on a hoist, but this is NOT recommended for R129 tops like ours.  My guess is that the new tops are less structurally rigid?  Something fancier like the Sto' Away might work, however, as it supports the entire bottom of the top.  I just use the hoist to install/remove the top, and store it vertically on a special hardtop cart with fabric cover.  Really doesn't take up much room, and I don't think I could sleep very well with a 70-lb. top dangling from an airplane cable over top of my SL!

    Rob