[R129 SL] Re: R129LIST Digest, Vol 4, Issue 7

George Jenner gjenner at nc.rr.com
Sat Feb 5 17:31:03 EST 2005

Rolf, I have a '96 SL500 and was unlucky enough to have had the left toggle
switch cover break and fall off in my hand one night.  I think that is the
switch you are referring to.  Both the right side and left side are
identical in operation, size and appearance and they are located above the
inside rearview mirror.
The switch cover snaps onto the base by way of center mounted holes in the
upper and lower half of the cover.  These holes fit onto molded pins in the
switch base so that when you press on either side of the cover the cover
pivots and the contact for the lamp is made.  Because the left side cover
broke at the pivot holes I got to see how they go together although I do not
know how I would go about removing this cover while keeping the tabs with
the holes from breaking.  My best guess would be to remove the escutcheon
trim covering the switches in order to get at the switch cover tabs.  Only
thing is removing that trim piece without breaking it in the process will be
a daunting task.  If you break that it can cost in the $300 range to
replace.

"Courage is doing what you are afraid to do.  There can be no courage unless
you're scared" - Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973)

Happy Motoring, George Jenner