[R129 SL] New to the 129

MBKindOfGuy MBKindOfGuy at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 28 12:20:03 EST 2005

I think you may need to get a new dealer <grin>.  Sounds to me like they
either don't know your car very well, or they really don't care to service
your parts needs very well.  Just my (not so) humble opinion.

As far as I've been able to tell, the dipstick is not a permanent one,
rather it is used for "testing" the level.  It's a workshop tool, not a
permanent dipstick.  The cap on the filler tube is removable (breaking off
the red "tab" lock, sometimes called the filler neck cover pin).  You test
and fill through the tube, and when done you replace the cap and put in a
new red locking tab.  This is, of course, assuming your R129 has the 722.6xx
transmission.  I am speaking in terms of my 1998 SL500, and am not sure if
this information applies to others years, models, etc.

The dealer part number are:
- Tranny dipstick: 140-589-15-21-00 (about $40-$45 from on-line OEM sources)
- Filler neck cover pin (red tap on filler tube cap): 140-991-00-55 (about
65 cents each from on-line OEM sources)
- If you use the MB tranny fluid, p/n 001-989-21-03-10, it costs about $8.50
per liter from on-line OEM sources (this appears to be the actual MB fluid
too).  My SL takes about 10 liters.
- A couple of other parts to have on hand for this are the tranny filter,
drain plugs (2) and crush washers (2) for the torque converter and fluid
pan.  Also, there should be a magnet in the pan, and if not, here's the p/n
for that too:
Filter: 140-277-00-95
Drain plugs: 126-997-01-32 or 000000-000648
Crush washers: 140-271-00-60 or 007603-010112
Pan magnet: 220-271-00-98

I encourage you to double check the part numbers for your particular model
and VIN.

Personallly, I tend to order these parts from on-line OEM parts suppliers.
However I've recently found this site which appears to sell genuine MB parts
at reasonable prices, although I've not used them yet:
http://www.mercedesbenzgenuineparts.com/

One note is to make sure the tranny fluid is checked hot, i.e. 80-deg C.
This is from what I've read on some on-line forums.  I've recently ordered
the various service books and maintenance manuals, but I don't yet have them
in hand.  I point this out as I don't know the exact procedure, although it
should be pretty straight forward.  I also don't know what level to fill to
on the dipstick.

I intend on changing the fluid every 30,000 miles.  I just purchased my
SL500 a couple of weeks ago and it has 51,xxx miles on it.  So I'm preparing
now for the 60K service.  The maintenance records do not show the tranny
fluid as ever being replaced on mine, so my 60K service will be the first
tranny fluid replacement.

Here's an interesting forum to read on this topic:
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?t=102541.  I
particularly liked the 08-31-2004, 07:42 PM posting by "Gilly" where he
quotes Service Information 27A95105.  It looks like MB even says "We never
specified who's life" in the service info, when referring to the sealed or
filled-for-life statement.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Howard M. Ginsberg