[R129 SL] Re: Synthetic Oil

Victor R. Lopez vrlopez254 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 15:24:45 EST 2005

One thing knowone has mentioned, because synthetics/Amsoils are high in detergent propertys a vehicle with a lot of miles using carbon types oils will start to leak oil from the gasket surfaces. The the by product of carbon oils "sludge" acts to help seal the gasket surfaces. Food for thought, maybe someone else may have some information on the subject.
  Good Luck

George Jenner <gjenner at nc.rr.com> wrote:
          After reading the many accounts of everyone switching, or considering switching to pure synthetic motor oil I plan on revisiting my decision to use Mobil 1 and take another look at Amsoil for my 1996 SL500 with 76,000 miles.  Is Amsoil as easy to obtain as Mobil 1?  Do Amsoil users use a special oil filter as well?  I would appreciate hearing from someone who switched from Mobil 1 to Amsoil about their impressions after the change.

  Motor on...it doesn't get any better than this.  George