[R129 SL] Fog lights

George Simpson george.simpson.r129 at tiscali.fr
Thu Apr 14 04:00:56 EDT 2005

What you have are the "perhaps Xenon gas filled" bulbs but not the
proper Xenon gas discharge system. These bulbs might have a blue tint
and are, IMHO, just the same as the bulbs you are replacing.

After a small 'incident' last year, my insurers had to replace the bulb
in one of my wife's Xenon headlights - it cost Euros 220 !!!!

What you can do is buy a pair of the Xenon lookalike bulbs for your main
headlights in the 100/80W  variety -  illegal for road use but can be
used for 4x4 applications in the forest (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). The
only downside other than the cops dismantling your headlights to check
is the additional load on the H/L wiring  and extra heat but for the
little I use my car at night, it is a risk I have taken as the
difference in illumination is noticeable.

George Simpson
Cognac