[R129 SL] Convertible top rear window material

George Jenner r129list@mbcoupes.com
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:55:35 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01C4A270.7507F870

I removed the old windows, main and two quarters, by carefully cutting =
the outermost stitching with a single edge razor blade.  The removed =
panels are perfect as templates to mark and cut the new material.  =
Removing the panels leaves a pocket all around into which I inserted the =
newly cut panels.  The small quarters can be inserted without using =
anything to hold them in place.  The large center panel has to have =
support to keep it from folding and slipping out of the pocket so I used =
a round cushion from the couch to support a piece of a shipping carton =
which I also cut to shape keeping this just a little smaller than the =
window opening.  Once this was in place, and resting on the inside rear =
deck, the window went into the pocket and all was ready for the RTV.  I =
choose "Goop" marine clear in squeeze tube form.  This did not, however, =
come with a long nozzle which some other brands do.  If I had such a =
nozzle on the end of the tube when I was applying the stuff it would =
have made it much easier to apply.  Instead I had to use an old artists =
brush which had very short bristles to take the glue one dollop at the =
time and apply it as evenly as possible all around the outside flap of =
the pocket and to the inserted edge of the poly material as well.  I let =
the whole works dry inside overnight and when I checked it the next day =
it was absolutely bonded solid.  I started out thinking that the worst =
that could happen was it would not work at all but it did work.....end =
of story.

Sorry all that I do not have the ability at the moment to take digital =
pictures but I promise that when I do I'll send them along to the group.

Regards to all, George

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01C4A270.7507F870

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I removed the old windows, main and two =
quarters,=20
by carefully cutting the outermost stitching with a single edge razor=20
blade.&nbsp; The removed panels are perfect as templates to mark and cut =
the new=20
material.&nbsp; Removing the panels leaves a pocket all around into =
which I=20
inserted the newly cut panels.&nbsp; The small quarters can be inserted =
without=20
using anything to hold them in place.&nbsp; The large center panel has =
to have=20
support to keep it from folding and slipping out of the pocket so I used =
a round=20
cushion from the couch to support a piece of a shipping carton which I =
also cut=20
to shape keeping this just a little smaller than the window =
opening.&nbsp; Once=20
this was in place, and resting on the inside rear deck, the window went =
into the=20
pocket and all was ready for the RTV.&nbsp; I choose "Goop" marine clear =
in=20
squeeze tube form.&nbsp; This did not, however, come with a long nozzle =
which=20
some other brands do.&nbsp; If I had such a nozzle on the end of the =
tube when I=20
was applying the stuff it would have made it much easier to apply.&nbsp; =
Instead=20
I had to use an old artists brush which had very short bristles to take =
the glue=20
one dollop at the time and apply it as evenly as possible all around the =
outside=20
flap of the pocket and to the inserted edge of the poly material as =
well.&nbsp;=20
I let the whole works dry inside overnight and when I checked it the =
next day it=20
was absolutely bonded solid.&nbsp; I started out thinking that the worst =
that=20
could happen was it would not work at all but it did work.....end of=20
story.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sorry all that I do not have the =
ability at the=20
moment to take digital pictures but I promise that when I do I'll send =
them=20
along to the group.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Regards to all, =
George</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01C4A270.7507F870--