[R129 SL] SL 500 Tires & Wheels.

Rob Vonderhaar r129list@mbcoupes.com
Sun, 5 Sep 2004 11:31:54 -0400

Bruce,
I did this on my '95 SL500 - went to 18" AMG monoblocks with Dunlop
SP9000's (245-45 in front; 275-40 in back).  This was the identical
setup that MB offered on the Sport version of the car that I saw in a
showroom.  Each time they need replacing, I look at other alternatives
and keep coming back to the Dunlops as the best compromise of very good
handling but with a bit lower noise and better wear than others.  Plus,
these are beyond awesome in rain - no hydroplaning ever.

The good stuff:  Car now handles like it's on rails.  Much improved
handling, less body lean, no more tire squealing, far quicker steering
response, etc.  Looks much better vs. the old stock 16 inchers, and
infinitely easier to keep clean of brake dust.

The bad stuff:  Car now *rides* a bit like it's on rails.  Any wider,
low-profile tire transmits more road noise and bumps.  They are stiffer
and more prone to "tramlining", where they follow ruts worn into the
pavement.  Proper alignment and balancing become more critical, and be
prepared for short tire life (I get about 12-15k on a set of fronts; a
bit more on the rears).

All of that said, I'd probably do it again.  The handling is SO much
better that, to me, the car is a lot more fun to drive.  It's all a
question of what's important to you, but realize that you will
definitely be making some tradeoffs.  I found the best price on the
whole wheel/tire setup at TireRack.com, but ended up buying from a local
specialty tire store that almost matched their price.

Best of all, he is the only tire guy I've found in many years that can
still do "on the car" high-speed balancing (after doing the computerized
off-car balancing that everyone else does as well).  I watched him
carefully calibrate his fancy Hunter computer balancer and work until
the readouts showed "000" (ie, perfect balance).  After mounting on the
car, he spun each front wheel up to about 100mph and you could really
feel the vibration by touching the front fender.  He stopped the wheel,
added a tape weight, and repeated (many times) until it was smooth as
glass at 100mph.  I have no idea how he knows where to put the weights;
guess this is a real art form that just comes from many years of
practice.  I remember when lots of tire shops used to do this, but
nowadays you mostly get 20-year-olds that only know how to follow what
the computer tells them to do.

Good luck!

    Rob Vonderhaar