[R129 SL] Tire pressures on an SL500 Sport?

Derek Lee r129list@mbcoupes.com
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:07:17 -0700

I run two pounds over the manufacturer's recommendation for the standard 16"
wheels, even though I am running the same 18" AMG wheels/tires as you now.

Remember, PSI measures pound per square inch on the tire surface.  I believe
the only thing really affecting this is the mass of the vehicle exerting
downward pressure on the air in the tires.  So changing tire size, without
changing vehicle mass, should not affect the recommended PSI.  Sidewall
strength may have some limited effect, as it also helps hold up the mass of
the car, but I don't think in this case it makes enough of a difference to
matter much.  Anyone here remember college physics better than me?

Derek Lee
`86 W201 190E 2.3-16
`90 R129 500SL
`94 FZJ80 Land Cruiser + stuff