FW: [R129 SL] Noisy Rear End

Jim Schuster r129list@mbcoupes.com
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 22:34:30 -0400

A little more information:  I had the problem on front and rear. I
suppose the prior owner had some sort of "race tune" alignment since the
rear end was in a "squat" sort of alignment and the front was aligned
(caster) so that the left edge of both tires wore first.  I assume this
was to counter leaning on a series of hard left turns.  Anyway, it got
to the point that the car was becoming noisy and un-Mercedes like.  The
tires noise was a resonating drumming. After I took it to the dealer and
had the proper four wheel alignment (that was all it needed) and had the
worn tires replaced, of course, the droning-drumming went away.
Jim Schuster