[R129 SL] Car folks stuff...

r129list@mbcoupes.com r129list@mbcoupes.com
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:56:51 EDT

--part1_dd.f391c73.2e273e63_boundary

Yep, I  have heard the bad stories about the newer cars.  I recently
commented to Bob Beckmann of Beckmann Technologies about how my 1987 560 SEL looked
better all the time as far as maintaining a great running car without all of the
electronic headaches.  I was discussing a check engine lite on my 92 600 SEL
when he commented, "If you think they are bad (as far as keeping the
electronics straightened out) you should see the 2000 and up......They are a REAL
challenge."

That is very scarry coming from him, a rebuilder of electronic parts.

I would say recently it appears Mercedes got more of Chrysler, than the other
way around.  Not good.

Ultimately if they make the cars so complicated that the average guy can't
keep them going reasonably, then the resale value will plumit, leading to an
even steeper depreciation curve, leading to even less sales for them.  They have
to get their act together soon or I may not be able to ever buy a newer one
due to maintenance cost.
I'm 55 so the ones I do have will last the rest of my lifetime for sure.

Mike in Morgantown, PA

--part1_dd.f391c73.2e273e63_boundary

=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Yep, I&nbsp; have heard the bad sto=
ries about the newer cars.&nbsp; I recently commented to Bob Beckmann of Bec=
kmann Technologies about how my 1987 560 SEL looked better all the time as f=
ar as maintaining a great running car without all of the electronic headache=
s.&nbsp; I was discussing a check engine lite on my 92 600 SEL when he comme=
nted, "If you think they are bad (as far as keeping the electronics straight=
ened out) you should see the 2000 and up......They are a REAL challenge."<BR=

<BR>
That is very scarry coming from him, a rebuilder of electronic parts.<BR>
<BR>
I would say recently it appears Mercedes got more of Chrysler, than the othe=
r way around.&nbsp; Not good.<BR>
<BR>
Ultimately if they make the cars so complicated that the average guy can't k=
eep them going reasonably, then the resale value will plumit, leading to an=20=
even steeper depreciation curve, leading to even less sales for them.&nbsp;=20=
They have to get their act together soon or I may not be able to ever buy a=20=
newer one due to maintenance cost.<BR>
I'm 55 so the ones I do have will last the rest of my lifetime for sure.<BR>
<BR>
Mike in Morgantown, PA<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>