[R129 SL] FR. SUSPENSION

Mike Preiss r129list@mbcoupes.com
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 05:47:44 -0700

I had the same problem on my 1991 after 95,000 miles. New front struts
solved it. Not cheap though!

-----Original Message-----
From: r129list-admin@mbcoupes.com [mailto:r129list-admin@mbcoupes.com] On
Behalf Of George Simpson
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 5:12 AM
To: R129list@Mbcoupes. Com
Subject: [R129 SL] FR. SUSPENSION

Since buying my 1990 500SL last November, I have been aware
of the front suspension knocking when going over roads which
are less than very smooth. After pulling and pushing the
suspension/steering components, my M-B garage diagnosed a
worn steering arm link (and I heard the click when he
waggled it) This is now replaced (Euros 46 for the part and
three hours fitting) but the noise is still there.

The knocking seems to come from both front sides and is
caused by minor road imperfections - larger holes in the
road do not seem to affect it. The local M-B garage has been
checking the car for a day now and all seems tight when
inspected from below.

Does anyone have any experience of anything similar?

George Simpson
Cognac, France