[R129 SL] Battery charging. winter preseving etc.

George Simpson r129list@mbcoupes.com
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:04:21 +0100

One thing I have learned is that the 500SL will drain a
battery very quickly if you leave something on. Even leaving
the ignition key in the slot but not turned causes a drain.
If your battery is in good condition, I would simply
disconnect the positive terminal. The battery is in the
right corner of the boot as you open the boot of the car.
You have to pull out the shaped piece of carpet and you will
see it. Another way to check your battery and the
connections is to see, when you take off the positive (red)
terminal, just touch the clip to the lead post of the
battery and see if there are any small sparks. If so, you
have a "leak" and your battery will go down very quickly -
you must find it.

I have an extra English language 500SL Owners Manual as I
bought one in the US and, at the same time, my son bought
one on e-Bay for me. Send me an e-mail "off-line" and we can
surely come to an arrangement.

George Simpson
Cognac, France
1990 M-B 500SL