[R129 SL] RE: R129 manual, was: Central locking system issue

r129list@mbcoupes.com r129list@mbcoupes.com
Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:35:43 -0000

Thor,

I had a look at this auction and there is (unfortunately) no such MB
manual for model 129 on CD. Not existing, full stop.

I can only speculate as to the content of this CD, as the information
in the auction description is vague, but from what it says it appears
to be a bootleg copy of the MB CD for the introduction into service
of model 129. That is a CD that was distributed to the MB workshops
ahead of the sales start of model 129 in 1989 and contains technical
information on many aspects of the car, but DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY
WORKSHOP MANUAL !

So while this is a nice CD to have, as I do myself, it serves hardly
any purpose as a manual and the copy is not worth the $60 as the
auction stands now. If any of you is interested, the MB club here in
London can get you a copy, certainly at a better price than this
auction. The bidders are obviously fooled into thinking this is a
workshop manual CD. No wonder it is a "private" auction ;-)

All workshop manual documents for model 129 are available in the MB
WIS (Workshop Information System) - and only there (apart from the
old microfiche) . That is what you need if you want the complete
information on R129 models and all other MB series from about 1985 to
today. The WIS is strictly dealership only, i.e. not easy to get and
install, but there are ways to get it and to install it successfully,
BTDT. I would certainly not buy it on ebay, too many sellers of
nonsense there and simple bootleg copies of the WIS will not work at
all. MB is not stupid enough to have the software that they want to
restrict to their own workshops on CDs that anyone can burn.

Caveat emptor.

Richard Becker
London