[R129 SL] Transmission Troubles

r129list@mbcoupes.com r129list@mbcoupes.com
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 19:45:32 EDT

--part1_6f.3c4f9e88.2c8bcb9c_boundary

My 91 300 SL which I bought 6 weeks ago came with a late and hard 1-2 shift.
When it is cold the shift is very late and very violent.  When warm it is
slightly better. It definitely is not right.  All other shifts are PERFECT.  I
really love how it shifts and revs.  Really a blast to drive.  I have driven MB
for 25 years and this is really bad.   I know how they can shift a little hard
when cold but this is VIOLENT.

Took it to a very good tranmission guy here in PA that I have used before and
he found and repaired the valve body gasket which was "blown" out.  The
repair did NOT fix the shift at all.  I called the shop forman for my local MB
dealer and he confered with his mechanics and they suspect that the B1 servo valve
is sticking and hanging up the first gear band.

Anyone else had and FIXED this same problem ???

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike in Morgantown, PA
91 300 SL
92 600 SEL
87 560 SEL
67 Truimph TR 4A
62 Thunderbird 44,000 original miles

--part1_6f.3c4f9e88.2c8bcb9c_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">My 91 300 SL which I bought 6 weeks ago came with a la=
te and hard 1-2 shift.&nbsp; When it is cold the shift is very late and very=
 violent.&nbsp; When warm it is slightly better. It definitely is not right.=
&nbsp; All other shifts are PERFECT.&nbsp; I really love how it shifts and r=
evs.&nbsp; Really a blast to drive.&nbsp; I have driven MB for 25 years and=20=
this is really bad.&nbsp;&nbsp; I know how they can shift a little hard when=
 cold but this is VIOLENT.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
Took it to a very good tranmission guy here in PA that I have used before an=
d he found and repaired the valve body gasket which was "blown" out.&nbsp; T=
he repair did NOT fix the shift at all.&nbsp; I called the shop forman for m=
y local MB dealer and he confered with his mechanics and they suspect that t=
he B1 servo valve is sticking and hanging up the first gear band.<BR>
<BR>
Anyone else had and FIXED this same problem ???<BR>
<BR>
Thanks in advance for any help.<BR>
<BR>
Mike in Morgantown, PA<BR>
91 300 SL<BR>
92 600 SEL <BR>
87 560 SEL<BR>
67 Truimph TR 4A<BR>
62 Thunderbird 44,000 original miles</FONT></HTML>

--part1_6f.3c4f9e88.2c8bcb9c_boundary--