[R129 SL] Re: Becker Grand Prix Radio

r129list@mbcoupes.com r129list@mbcoupes.com
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 20:34:53 -0000

Brandon,

> Does anyone out there know where I could buy the wiring harness for a
> Becker Grand Prix radio for the early to mid 90's Mercedes.  I want to
> buy a radio, but none of the ones I see have the harness with them.

if you mean this plug:

http://www.beckerautosound.com/connect.jpg

the original harnesses are available from Mercedes, and Becker sell
them as well. Contact Ed Ebel <EEbel@harmanbecker.com> for this, they
used to charge about $8.00 for the connector with the cables.

The connector (just the special 4 PIN Becker plug) is also  available
from MB for substantially less, but you have to solder the cables to
the pin bushings. Very easy job, any beginner can solder these pin
bushings, even an MB mechanic ;-)

If you want to do that, I have to look up the part number. It is NOT
listed with the radio ancillaries in the parts catalogues, there you
have to order the complete harness. But this very Becker plug is also
used for other applications, for instance on the model 140 Webasto
auxiliary heater and other places IIRC, and there you have a separate
part number just for the cheap plug. Let me know if you want the
number, I'll look it up.

Richard Becker
London