[R129 SL] top went down, now it won't go up

Cliff Sadler r129list@mbcoupes.com
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:22:43 -0400

For the past week or so, the top has intermittently not wanted to raise.
Pushing the top button and holding for a few seconds will lower the windows
and roll bar, and then you can hear some relay clicking, but nothing
happens. After a few tries, suddenly the top would raise.

Yesterday, it quit for good.  Reading some other posts, there was a
discussion of resetting the window limits by raising, and lowering the
windows with a hold at each end of 5 seconds.
That didn't help at all. So, last night, I put the hard top back on thinking
that some sensor thought the hard top was on so it wouldn't raise the soft
top.
Well, it locked down just fine, but now won't release.

If I push the button forward, I can see the hydraulics pulling the top down,
so I know that there is enough pressure to move the top.

Now, I think I may be in a quandry as there is no way to raise the soft top
without first removing the hard top.

The fuses, although old, are ok, and there is no corrosion around the
contacts.  The fusable link below the set of fuses for the hydraulic motors
is ok, and not loose.

Any suggestions?