[R129 SL] 300 SL

Cliff Sadler r129list@mbcoupes.com
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 09:21:47 -0400

I'm having a similar problem, and ran across this info from the archives:

Stumble problem after warmed up

I have a '91 500sl with 71k mi. The car has been maintained well during
its life. I live in Va Beach, Va at sea level.  The car runs great when cold
but after driving 15-30
min., the car will stumble and hesitate on acceleration  as if a
cylinder or 2 is not firing, especially in warm weather. I went to the
mountains (3500 ft above sea level) and experienced no
trouble even when hammering it out on winding mountain roads. It thrived
on climbing the 9% grades.
    I took it to the dealer and they could not replicate the problem but
replaced the distributer cap and rotor. They said it was running fine
and passed all computer checks. I dont think they let it warm up enough.
This did not solve the problem. The plugs are new and I just replaced the
Oxygen sensor. Any ideas? I was
thinking about replacing the fuel injectors.

Try this,     replace your fuel tank gas cap with a new 'Stant'  gas
cap.
I was having same type problems, and the
difference was amazing,   something to do with proper tank and injector
pressures.     cost  5.oo
I am convinced that a tune up consists
of, cleaned battery cables, ,new plugs,  distributor cap and rotor and a
new gas cap (something that is almost never changed)     Let us know if
it works.