[R129 SL] CV joint maintenance

Derek Lee r129list@mbcoupes.com
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:24:57 -0700

Hi all -

New to the list, I own a 1990 500SL.  Anyway, despite the age, it only has
35K miles on it.  I was wondering about the four CV joints in the rear.
Since I don't have a factory manual (and MB doesn't seem to think I need
one), I was curious about maintenance on these.  I assume they're sealed,
and don't need any work until around 100K miles, but I was just working on
one of our Land Cruisers (with an unsealed Birfield CV in each front hub),
and got to thinking about when I would have to do this extremely messy job
on the SL.  I consider myself fairly Birfield-competent, having done
complete sets on both of our Cruisers, but I'm not sure if Mercedes used a
Birfield CV on the SL (probably not).  Anyway, any info, tips, tricks, etc.
would be welcome.

Thanks,
Derek Lee
`90 R129 500SL (fairly stock)
`94 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (extremely modified)
`97 FZJ80 Land Cruiser Collectors Ed. (stock)
Elk Grove, CA, USA