[R129 SL] AMG Wheels

Carl Genberg r129list@mbcoupes.com
Mon, 03 Feb 2003 16:04:25 -0800

Mike,

Your front and rear wheels may have different offsets so you need to check
both.

The size specifications are stamped/cast on every wheel.  It's usually on
the back of one of the spokes.  There is often other information as well.
Generally, the size specification is as follows: 8.5 x 18 ET35  (width x
diameter and offset).  ET designates offset and is always negative although
this is not indicated.  While the wheel width and diameter are in inches,
the offset is in millimeters.  Very equal opportunity.  Sometimes there is a
letter after the width (e.g., 8.5J) indicating the design of the lip on the
wheel.

If you don't feel like pulling the wheels off the car, the lazy man's
approach to this problem is drive one side of the car up on a curb from a
driveway, then crawl underneath to look on the inside of the wheel spokes
with a flashlight.  You may need to roll the car forward a bit more to
rotate the spokes for visibility of the right spoke.  Also, be very carful
when backing the car back down so it doesn't slide off the side of the curb
and damaging the wheels/tires/body panels.

To be confident of the fit of those wheels on an SL, you'll want to see the
offsets be near 25mm.  The Aero II's in a staggered setup on the SL500 would
use 8.5" ET23 front and 9.5" ET25 rears with the same tire sizes as the E55.

Carl P. Genberg
Principal
BergWerks
Off:  818-781-2770