[R129 SL] Less brake dust:EBC, Porterfield, etc.

Tom Reynolds r129list@mbcoupes.com
Fri, 01 Aug 2003 14:38:33 -0700

--=======6331D5C=======

I posted to the Ritter/Easley list about EBC Green Stuff pads, for less
brake dust, and others have pointed to Porterfield, so here's the scoop on
them;

There is an ad in the Star, for Porterfields from a distributor for the
best price I have found.

Larry

Dave M. wrote:

>I have not heard many wonderful things about EBC brake pads. Even in the
>motorcycle world (where they have a much bigger presence), there are better
>choices. For the R129, I would *strongly* suggest Porterfield carbon-Kevlar
>pads, the R4-S street compound. They are very low dust and have incredible
>stopping power. They are also the only pad I have ever used that, when
>installed with new rotors (or old), provided normal braking from the VERY
>first pedal application! Normally you get the "no brakes" syndrome for at
>least a few miles before new pads bed in, which can be downright scary. Just
>go easy on the new pads for a couple hundred miles before pounding on them,
>even though they feel good, they do need so bed-in time to transfer material
>to the rotor surface. If Randy can't get them, buy direct from the factory:
>
>http://www.porterfield-brakes.com
>

>HTH,
>
>Dave M.
>Boise, ID
>1987 300D - 239kmi (Porterfield R4-S pads & ATE rotors)
>1987 300D - 247kmi (slightly crinkled)
>1984 300D - 224kmi

Best regards,
Tom Reynolds