[R129 SL] Off topic (etc.): CPI "Good" values since 1998

Tom Reynolds r129list@mbcoupes.com
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 00:41:25 -0700

Hi List, (Ferrari, Mercedes, Mercedes SL, Lotus Elan)
        I was going over some books I have and trying to figure out what my
next car purchase might be, if it ever occurs.  While I'll be happy to
share my long list with others if they're curious, my point in this email
is that I've been keeping track of CPI "Good" condition code values since
the January-March 1998 CPI Value Guide on a number of cars on an Excel
spreadsheet.  Now that I'm going to be adding some cars to this, I figured
that if anyone has a serious desire to see the gain or loss in value
(without inflation figured in, but even that can be arranged) why don't you
send me an email with your desired car?  If it's in the CPI Value Guide
(and yeah, I know it's not the Bible or Holy Grail or Yellow Jersey, but
it's at least a reference point) I can do a bit of research and give you
the figures since their first edition of 1998.
        Thought that as long as I'm going to be thumbing through them, I
might as well let ya'll know in case someone is really hot to know the
figures, for whatever purpose.  At least maybe you'll spot a deal coming,
or at worst, you'll realize that maybe you should have bought "that" car a
couple years ago. . .
Best regards,
Tom (your 'umble servant) Reynolds
Hereford, AZ

P.S.  Lotus Elan group listers, I'm new, and am considering an Elan, but
have a LOT to learn about them, so have been lurking for a bit, have had a
'71 MGB (BRG) and currently have a '78 Ferrari 308gt4, '88 Mercedes 300E,
and (wife's car) a '90 Acura Integra GS.  Have also had a '73 BMW 2002tii
and a '82 Fiat 2000 Spider.  So, I know what masochism can be like.  ;)