[R129 SL] Wheels

Rob Vonderhaar r129list@mbcoupes.com
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 17:24:26 -0400

George,
I upgraded my '95 SL500 to 18" AMG monoblocks, wearing Dunlop SP9000's
(245x40 front; 275/35 rear). This is the same setup as MB uses on the
'Sport' series SL, so figured it was a good choice.  The ride is
definitely different - firmer, a bit noisier, and a little more prone to
'tramlining' that requires more attention to steering on roads with ruts
worn into the pavement.  These are all characteristic of wider, larger,
lower-profile tires on any car.  However, the car now tracks like it's
on rails.  You can take turns or sweeping on/offramps at almost any
speed you like, with absolutely no tire squeal and much less body lean
than I used to get with the Pirelli P600's on the stock wheels.  Also, I
think the AMGs look about a zillion percent better on the car, and
they're much easier to clean due to the big holes I can get my whole
hand into.  Only other downside is tire consumption - I get about 15k
out of the rears, and maybe a little less out of the fronts.  At about
$275-300/tire, gets kinda expensive!

It's really a question of personal preference, I guess.  I think MB
designed the R129 to be more of a luxury cruiser than a sports car,
where handling and road feel were the tradeoffs.  I enjoy the improved
handling and feel, and don't think the increased ride harshness and
noise are all that bad in exchange.  But I've had dealership people say
the same thing to me.  To each their own, I guess!

  Rob