[R129 SL] Newbie introduction

Tom Reynolds r129list@mbcoupes.com
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 06:27:50 -0700

Hello everyone,
        Just subscribed in order to get some feedback and information on
the R129 500SL/SL500 cars.  I have had 2 W124 cars (still have one) and
while up in Scottsdale yesterday saw an absolutely gorgeous/take breath
away/fixated LONG second look silver SL500.  Unfortunately did not see the
owner(s) of the car.  It looked as though it might have larger
wheels/tires, but I didn't look, as I figured the last thing I needed at
that point was to start poking around the car trying to see tire sizes, and
have the alarm go off, and have half the Scottsdale Camelback Resort
security detail on my back.  :)
Perhaps a lister's car?  Didn't get the plate number,either, such a state I
was in.
Anyway, I'd just like to know about gas mileage, performance stats, etc.,
you know, typical road test information, where I can find it, if it's
posted on the 'net anywhere, etc.  Oh, and did any R129 500SL/SL500 have
any  kind of "manually active" automatic transmission?  I'm in the position
where my darling wife (who hates to drive manual transmissions, even hates
to be IN cars with them) wants me to look at cars "for fun" only with a
manual trans, but something like a P-car Tiptronic might be acceptable to
me...

Thanks very much,
Tom Reynolds
Hereford, AZ