[R129 SL] 129 Top problems

Kirill Gomelsky r129list@mbcoupes.com
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 20:35:11 -0800

Tom had a similar problem with my 90 500 SL.  The dealer took several visits
to fix it.  Tell them to check the switches that tell the car what position
the top actually is.  That was the problem with mine.

Kirill.

-----Original Message-----
From: r129list-admin@mbcoupes.com [mailto:r129list-admin@mbcoupes.com]On
Behalf Of Tom and Karen
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2002 3:45 PM
To: r129list@mbcoupes.com
Subject: [R129 SL] 129 Top problems

   While trying to put the softtop down on my 1990 500SL, the whole top
mechanism quit working. The rear hard(tonneau) cover went up, the top
unlocked and then nothing.  I can put the top down manually even though
I can tell it is working against hydraulic pressure. The latches for the
hard cover are in the latched position, with the cover up.  Fuse #6
under the hood is good. I have power to the fuse block in the trunk. The
red light in the switch is on steady.
I can put the top up manually and lock it. Moving the switch only puts
the windows down or up.  It seems the whole system is out of sync.
This has been a problem ever since I got it home from the dealer(Sears
in MPLS), 2 1/2 years ago. It worked before I bought it, (at least it
did once), and then intermittently with help until last year the dealer
had it, and now, nothing.

I have an appointment with the Mercedes zone rep on Monday, which the
Denver dealer set up. The dealer had the car for 6 weeks last year and
didn't get it right. I assume that the top system is so troublefree that
dealers never get good at diagnosing/fixing them.

I am wondering if any other lister has had top problems of this nature
and what the resolution was.  Thanks in advance.

Tom Weitkunat
Fort Collins,CO
1988 300E
1990 500SL