[LargeFormat] Hello all

Dave Hornford dave.hornford at hornfordassociates.com
Tue Jun 3 22:13:48 EDT 2008

My home is in western Canada a short drive from Banff, Lake Louise, Kootenay
Park, Yoho Park, Waterton, the Icefield Parkway, etc.. - I truly love
landscape photography, large format & my Sinar cameras.

I fear I am the only practitioner of ultra-light backpacking who has billion
pound loads (he thinks - "if I cut the handle off my toothbrush I'll be able
to carry 4 more sheets of film") The real grief is rain not weight & bulk -
last fall I was out in the Pipestone (near Louise) and when it wasn't
raining it snowed. After making room in the tent (extra light 1 man tent.
See toothbrush comment) for the camera & equipment there wasn't much room
for the photographer. Photographer slept under a tarp (funky light silicone
nylon tarp intended to protect set-up camera. See toothbrush comment)
Photographer was already damp.

Fresh snow & low clouds the landscape curse - I ask you how do you
distinguish Zone 8.75 from 9.1 when the sky is acting like the world's
greatest light box. This was the first real trip with the 8x10 and the lens
I use for 4x5 were just to wide. Sometimes your subject is less than the
whole universe, especially not the foot of the tripod. Bought a new lens -
the internet is a wonderful thing.

Work, work related travel and a desire to remain acquainted with my wife &
boys mean Pipestone & Icefield Parkway's weekend's film is in my freezer -
last fall can't have been 8 months ago. (He thinks - "tall lads, bigger than
me, less extra weight than me, lots of carrying capacity"; they see me
thinking & say - "Dad backpacking & photography are different activities,
put the camera down.") Yes, the new lens is in its shipping box.

There we were at the parking lot for a few days canoeing & kayaking at
Myrtle Lake in Well Grey Park. Relaxing quality time with the family. It
was only a couple of kilometres portage to the lake. The fiends made me put
the camera boxes I had smuggled back into the car. Next time I label them
food.

Christopher, how did you succeed in developing his interest?

Dave
At the Sheraton Rio, prior the Carat Hotel Budapest, prior Kilmeny Islay,
prior the Westin London, prior the Omni Montreal, prior the Westin Glasgow,
prior a few places in Toronto, prior a number of stays in Victoria (though
of you Don), prior the airport place LA, prior the forgotten St. Petersburg,
prior someplace Moscow, prior the Paris Hilton (makes me chuckle so I can
remember this one), etc.... (Stops at home in between, not all family
communication is via text messaging & email)