[LargeFormat] Blackening your camera guts....

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 18 18:42:10 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i at earthlink.net>
To: "Largeformatf32. Net" <largeformat at f32.net>;
<pure-silver-bounce at freelists.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 3:25 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Blackening your camera guts....

> Many of the cameras we use today are up to 100 years old.
> A lot of the interior black has worn off, been scraped, or
> otherwise
> lost.  I have found 2 details about the black that was
> used...
>
> First off, the original black on my 50-60's vintage B+J is
> not paint.  It is a simple black dye.  I replicated the
> finish and color
> by diluting black dye in alcohol.  Worked like a charm.
> Messy? You bet!
>
> Second, for touch up work, use a Marks-a-Lot permanent
> marker or a Black Sharpie.  They also worked well, but the
> dye worked better,
> blacker, and a lot messier.
>
> Just some tidbits for those of us trying to restore or
> improve our cameras.
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i at earthlink.net

   One can get flocced paper from several sources.
   The best absorbent paint is Krylon Ultra-Flat Black,
which can be found in hardware and paint stores. For small
areas spray some into a small container and apply it with a
brush. Its also good for the interior surfaces of lens
shades, etc.
   Your black dye idea is probably the answer to lens edge
paint where clearances are too small for the Krylon or
similar paint.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA